Are you ready?

If you’re ready to see how you can change the world as an Ursuline student, begin your application below. Not ready to apply yet? Start learning more about Ursuline by requesting information or visiting today.

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a liberal arts college?

A: US liberal arts college is similar to the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at a European university, plus the study of science. It is designed to help you build the core academic skills that will sustain you personally and professionally across your lifetime. Undergraduate students at Ursuline accomplish this through the Ursuline Core Curriculum. Three common courses, in conjunction with courses from the School of Arts and Sciences serve as the foundation for all undergraduate majors the college offers. The Ursuline Core Curriculum is designed to provide the breadth of a liberal arts foundation, while maintaining a commitment to our Catholic heritage and meeting our mission to offer a holistic education that transforms students for service, leadership and professional excellence. Ursuline also offers graduate programs which are designed for deep exploration of subject matter.

Q: How do I know if I am considered an international student?

A: You are considered an international student if you are a citizen of a country other than the United States and plan to enroll full-time at Ursuline in pursuit of an educational goal.  If you are a US citizen, permanent resident, or refugee who currently lives and/or studies outside the US, you are considered a domestic applicant with foreign credentials. You will still submit foreign academic credentials through a credential evaluation service such as WES or ECE, but follow all other steps for high school, transfer, UCAP, or graduate domestic applicants.

Q: Do you offer conditional admission?

A: Ursuline does not provide ESL services on campus, and therefore cannot offer a conditional admission program to applicants who do not meet our English proficiency minimums. We recommend applying to and enrolling at the LADO Institute at Baldwin Wallace University, just across town, and then applying to Ursuline College after developing language proficiency.

Q: What are your English proficiency testing policies?

A: Ursuline requires minimum scores on standardized tests to demonstrate English proficiency. Please see How to Apply for specific score requirements and testing options. Applicants who have completed at least 30 transferrable credits of college level coursework at a US College or University are waived from this requirement.

Q: I am in an IB curriculum. What should I submit and will I receive credit?

A: We encourage you to take the strongest high school curriculum available, and applaud your effort for choosing IB when it is an option. Ursuline awards credit for scores of 5 or higher on HL exams. In addition to sending your official high school transcript during the application process, you must also send an official copy of your score sheet to receive credit.

Q: Do you offer International students need-based aid?

A: Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are not eligible for U.S. government financial assistance and Ursuline offers only merit scholarships to undergraduate international students. Calculate the scholarship you can expect from Ursuline online.

Q: Can I use a credential evaluation service other than WES or ECE?

A: While we prefer WES or ECE, Ursuline is willing accept your evaluation from any credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). If you have any questions about a service, contact your Admission Counselor in advance to ensure your evaluation will be accepted.

Q: Can I send copies instead of official documents?

A: Official documents are required for clear admission to the college. In certain circumstances, unofficial documents may be permitted for “provisional” admission. Please contact your Admission Counselor to discuss your options.

Q: How do I apply for a student visa?

A: Once you have accepted our offer of admission, you will be sent Form I-20. Because this I-20 form is not a visa, it is imperative that you take this form to the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. They will review your case and grant you a student visa. Once you receive your visa, you can enter the USA 30 days before classes start. Upon arrival, you will be issued an I-94 card. This document is important for you to keep.

Q: I am a Canadian student. Are visa procedures different for me?

A: Yes. As a Canadian, you do not need a visa to study in the US. However, you do need to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from Ursuline and follow all other procedures for international students. When you cross the border, you will provide the following: your Canadian passport, your original signed Form I-20, proof that your SEVIS fee has been paid, and proof of finances.

Q: I am currently in the US on a work visa. How can I change my status and enroll at Ursuline?

A; As long as you did not enter the US as visitor through the visa waiver program, you may submit an application with USCIS to change your nonimmigrant status. Your first step is to gain admission to Ursuline. Once you receive your Form I-20 from Ursuline and pay your I-901 SEVIS fee, you will file the form I-539 “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status with USCIS. Not all nonimmigrant classifications may change status, so read the instructions on the form carefully to assess your eligibility.

Q: I am interested in playing on a varsity athletic team at Ursuline. What is the process?

A: Many of Ursuline’s undergraduate international students are part of the athletic community at Ursuline. Explore for more information about your sport and to get in touch with the coach from your program of interest.

Q: What if I plan to stay in the US after graduation?

A: If you are interested in working within the US, you may qualify for post-completion OPT on your F-1 visa for up to 12 months if you have not already taken Pre-Completion OPT during your program of study. To apply for Post-Completion OPT, a form I-765 can be filed with USCIS up to 90 days before the program end date and up to 60 days after the program end-date. You will work with your DSO at Ursuline to ensure this paperwork is submitted on-time. If you have not been admitted to another program of study, either at Ursuline or another institution, or accepted for Post-Completion OPT, you will have 60 days to leave the country or apply for a change of status.

Q: Can I work while attending Ursuline?

A: You may apply for and complete Pre-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) while enrolled in your degree program at Ursuline. This is temporary employment directly related to your major area of study, and is available to you for up to 12 months while you hold your F-1 visa. OPT may not exceed 20 hours/week and involves applying for an EAD card from USCIS. Your DSO will assist you with this process. You are also permitted to work part-time on the premises of Ursuline for Ursuline College, and this does not require DSO or USCIS authorization.

Q: Can I take online classes? Can I enroll part-time?

A: You must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours, only three of which may be taken online. If you have satisfied this requirement, you may proceed to enroll in additional online courses in the same term. The only exception is your last term in which you may enroll in fewer than 12 credit hours if fewer than 12 credits remain in your degree program, but none of your classes in your final term may be taken online.

Q: Is housing guaranteed?

A; Yes, housing is guaranteed if you submit your housing deposit by May 1 for fall enrollment. After May 1, or if you start term is spring or summer, housing cannot be guaranteed but will be provided if it is available. Some requirements apply for first-year, adult and graduate students, and Ursuline does not offer family housing. Contact your Admission Counselor to strategize housing if you are not eligible to live on campus or unsure about your eligibility.

Q: Can I enroll in UCAP as an international student?

A: Yes, but due to the nature of the UCAP program, many domestic UCAP students enroll part-time or in more online courses than would be allowed for an international student by USCIS. Also, many domestic UCAP students take evening/hybrid/online classes to balance a full-time work schedule, and you will have work restrictions on an F-1 student visa. Still, international students have successfully enrolled in UCAP in the past and it may be possible for you to pursue certain UCAP programs. Contact UCAP to discuss your options.

Q: I have additional questions that aren’t answered here.

A: That’s what we’re here for. Contact your counselor to discuss your circumstances, questions, goals, and concerns today.

Are you ready?

If you’re ready to see how you can change the world as an Ursuline student, begin your application below. Not ready to apply yet? Start learning more about Ursuline by requesting information or visiting today.